Friday, August 1, 2008

Test, Fail, Recover, Repeat

I try to keep a practice of physical training at least two times a week. Most weeks I keep that commitment, maintaining a routine of aerobic and weight training at my neighborhood gym. Sometimes I treat myself to additional support from a certified personal trainer, Brian.

I use the word “treat” for my work with Brian, and I mean it. He always pushes me beyond the comfort zone I’ve created within my workout routine, and shows me the benefits of trying new options and new approaches. He encourages me beyond my fear of failure when a new exercise or method seems “too hard.” He gives me permission to step away from things that overwhelm me, yet firmly guides me back to learn from my failure and try again. He always seems to be able to measure the distance between my assessment of how many repetitions I can do, and the true depth of the resources I have within.

The learning goes far beyond the physical arena. An example:

Brian likes push ups. Different varieties -- traditional, bent knees, or on the chin up bar. 25 repetitions. The first ten are o.k.; the next ten are challenging, and the last five kill me. If it’s been a while since I’ve worked with Brian, the last five may not happen. Not right away. We may move on to other things. Eventually, we will come back to those push ups and I will find the power to do my 25 reps.
According to Brian, this is the way to build new muscle mass. You have to test your muscles to the point of failure, then give them the chance to rest and rebuild. Then you start the process again.

Test, fail, recover, repeat. It’s the mantra for new learning inside the gym and beyond.

1 comment:

Karen Malone Wright said...

You've referred to Brian before -- his practice has fascinating links to yours. Mind, body, spirit indeed.