Thursday, August 14, 2008

Brian and Balance

This is another Brian column.

As I previously wrote, Brian is a personal trainer. One of the reasons I enjoy my work with him is because of his ability to explain and demonstrate his exercise choices, and the purpose behind them. Sometimes his explanations have such profound applications outside of the gym that I interrupt our workouts to write down his wisdom. Examples:

“Hold on to your center when the ground is shaking and forces are pulling you.”

Brian loves to work on balance. He will take a standard exercise, then add something extra: deep squats on a balance platform, free-weight arms curls while balancing on one leg, chest presses while sitting on an exercise ball.
The key to these exercises is finding your center. It means turning your focus and awareness inward. When you are aware of your center, you know when you are being pulled off balance and how to regain your footing.

“Resistance will not hold you back if you are sure where you are going. Resistance can work for you and with you.”

Another balance exercise. Brian has me stand on a “Bosu ball" --the name means "both sides united." This hemispherical rubber dome has less stability than sand. After I find my center and can maintain an upright position, he hands me these “resistance bands” (like oversized rubber bands or elasticized jump ropes) and has me slowly pull away from him, while he pulls in the opposite direction.
The interesting thing is if I pull too hard, I totally lose my balance and fall off the Bosu. And if I don’t pull hard enough, I totally lose my balance and fall off the Bosu.
The point: resistance is not always a negative force. Resistance can help you stand tall, support you and force you to find and maintain your center.

A recent article in The Washington Post offers a more complete look about the benefits of balance in exercise:

At Any Age, It Makes Sense to Keep Yourself in Balance

By Brittney Johnson, Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, August 12, 2008; HE01

"There are times in your life when feeling a little off-balance may actually be a good thing. Take it from the experts..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/09/AR2008080901280.html

Lucky for me, I was ahead of the curve, thanks to Brian.