Thursday, December 31, 2009

Turn the page

The New Year's countdown has begun, and as much as I hate to be trite, I am joining myriad pundits and commentators in expressing just how happy I am to move on the the new decade.

2009 was a hell of a year, right? Full of challenges and losses and transitions and victories, writ large and writ small. I can't help but think about the loved ones lost during the past twelve months, and over the past decade. One friend refers to the span of time between 1-1-2000 and 12-31-2009 as the "Aught-Oh's." I am feeling her on that.

However, I can't dismiss the amazing things I have seen and experienced in 2009. My country showed the world what is so unique about American democracy when it swore in an African American named Barack Hussein Obama as its 44th president. An airline pilot showed us the meaning of grace under pressure when he landed his disabled jet liner in the Hudson River.

And on a brilliant Sunday morning in May, I saw my son become a college graduate.

Of course, we know that the moments of triumph are just that -- moments; snapshots in time. Moments to cherish and celebrate, of course. And moments to help prepare us for whatever challenges are coming. 'Cause there's always another challenge coming.

And just like the triumphs provide the foundation to deal with the next challenge, the challenges can serve as the foundation to help reach the next triumph.

Lord knows this has been a year of challenge. A decade of challenge.

With a foundation like this, the next decade should be something great.

Best wishes for a fulfilling new year.

No comments: