Monday, November 3, 2008

What Voters Want

It’s Election Eve in America, and I’m attempting to take a break from all the hyperbole and hyperventilation that has surrounded this marathon. Most people I know are extremely invested in the presidential race, and I admit I have a strong preference about the outcome.

But in these few remaining hours before everything becomes focused on Election Day turnout, and before people become consumed by their elation or disappointment in the outcome of the race, I want to pause and think about some unexpected lessons from the campaign.

I have been fascinated to observe how these candidate choices have forced people in America and beyond to perform an internal audit of who they are and what they believe. So much of American political discourse – from both ends of the spectrum – has been identity politics. Red/Blue, liberal/conservative, black/white, pro-war/anti-war, old/young, male/female, rural/urban, citizen/immigrant.

It’s as though we’ve divided ourselves into gangs.

We all like to see ourselves as rational, reasoning people who vote on the issues, but the importance of identity is inescapable. And this election, like no other I can remember, is forcing people to examine and prioritize what’s important to them.

How much does my desire to have someone who Looks Like Me in the oval office rule my vote? And what part of me do I want reflected? My gender? My ethic heritage? My age demographic? Where do my beliefs come into play? Which ones are absolute? Which are negotiable?

Imagine what these questions can mean for someone who never before had to weigh the issues of race and gender when choosing a presidential candidate, someone who always saw themselves reflected in the possible choices.

It’s scary for all of us.

More than anything else, I believe I hear a basic human truth in this election: people want to be heard. They want to be seen for all the things they are, for all of their complexity. Don’t assume you know me because of my race, or my gender or where I grew up or my education. Don’t assume anything about me.

Talk to me. Hear me. Acknowledge me.

Every person on this earth craves recognition in one form or another. Voting is our collective demand to be heard.

And for the voters and the candidates, I hope that demand continues to resonate long after November 4.

No comments: